This is an instruction manual that addresses the conventions adopted by Bulbagarden archives in size, filetype, and other aspects of selecting, processing, and uploading images. Please read it before you contribute images to any Bulbagarden project. Note, however, that this document is not updated frequently; survey prevailing conventions as well as reading these guidelines.
This manual attempts to address all issues of style in an objective manner, though there are inevitably cases where issues of style are subjective. If there are any unresolved disputes over what best adheres to the style of Bulbagarden Archvies, please contact the moderators.
- All sprites should be either .png or .gif images with either white or transparent backgrounds.
- Sprites should be named as follows, as decided by the members of the Bulbapedia Project Pokédex:
- Red/Green (J)
- Blue (J) & Red/Blue (E)
- Gen I back
- Crystal (anim)
- Gen II back
- Fire/Red (1-151 + 216)
- Emerald (anim)
- Gen III back
- Gen IV back
- [_g] is gender for 4th gen sprites
- [_s] is shiny for 2nd+ gen sprites
- -a at the end (but before _s) for Unown's letter
- -[weather] (sun/rain/hail) at the end (but before _s) for Castform's forms
- -[form] at the end (but before _s) for Deoxys's form
- -[type] at the end (but before _s) for Minomutchi/madam's 2nd type
- -[region] at the end (but before _s) for Karanakushi/Toritodon's region
- -[type] at the end (but before _s) for Arseus's type
Episode and movie screenshots
- Screenshots taken and provided by a Bulbapedia user are preferred over ones taken from other websites.
- Screenshots should be saved as .jpg files.
- If used in the articles for the episode or movie that the screenshot was derived from, avoid trimming the image. Screenshots for episodes should be 320x240, or failing that, in another 4:3 ratio. Screenshots for movies should be 426x240, or failing that, in another 16:9 ratio, assuming the movie is in widescreen format. If the screenshot is used in another article, such as a character profile, trimming is allowed to focus the image on the character.
- Episode screenshots should be as informative about the episode as possible. The best screenshots focus on major characters, depict the plot or major events of the episode, and display the episode's animation quality. Screenshots with watermarks or text on them should particularly be avoided.
- Photos of TFG figures should be taken at either a front-on or 3/4ths view, depending on which best captures the form of the figure.
- Photos should be taken with a white background.
- Images should only be animated if the animation is helpful and informative in some manner.
- Animation is preferred to be as small and non-obtrusive as possible.