Got a spare minute? The Archives need some love. See the to-do list to find a way to help.
If you upload a new image make sure you name and categorize it properly. If in doubt, ask an admin or see our FAQ page.
Archives:Manual of style
This is an instruction manual that addresses the conventions adopted by Bulbagarden archives in size, filetype, and other aspects of selecting, processing, and uploading images. Please read it before you contribute images to any Bulbagarden project. Note, however, that this document is not updated frequently; survey prevailing conventions as well as reading these guidelines.
This manual attempts to address all issues of style in an objective manner, though there are inevitably cases where issues of style are subjective. If there are any unresolved disputes over what best adheres to the style of Bulbagarden Archvies, please contact the moderators.
- Avoid any alteration to stock artwork, except removing backgrounds or intrustive text and resizing.
- Stock artwork should be saved as .jpg, except when the background is transparent, in which case .png is preferred.
- All sprites should be either .png or .gif images with either white or transparent backgrounds.
- Please avoid trimming sprites, and never scale sprites. Sprites should be kept true to their original size; for example, Pokémon and trainer battle sprites from the first two generations should be 56x56, battle sprites from the third generation should be 64x64, and battle sprites from the fourth generation should be 80x80.
- Sprites should be named as follows, as decided by the members of the Bulbapedia Project Pokédex:
- Red/Green (J)
- Blue (J) & Red/Blue (E)
- Gen I back
- Crystal (anim)
- Gen II back
- Fire/Red (1-151 + 216)
- Emerald (anim)
- Gen III back
- Gen IV back
- [_g] is gender for 4th gen sprites
- [_s] is shiny for 2nd+ gen sprites
- -a at the end (but before _s) for Unown's letter
- -[weather] (sun/rain/hail) at the end (but before _s) for Castform's forms
- -[form] at the end (but before _s) for Deoxys's form
- -[type] at the end (but before _s) for Minomutchi/madam's 2nd type
- -[region] at the end (but before _s) for Karanakushi/Toritodon's region
- -[type] at the end (but before _s) for Arseus's type
- Red/Green (J)
- Screenshots made and provided by a Bulbapedia user are preferred over ones taken from other websites.
- Screenshots should be saved as .jpg files.
- Screenshots made with any sort of screen capture device are preferred over screenshots taken with a camera. However, in the event that screen captures are not currently available, quality photos are acceptable replacements.
- Minimal alteration of screenshots are preferred. Any changes should attempt to preserve the original content and quality of the image. In the case of notably low-quality screenshots, however, alterations which increase the quality of the screenshot are acceptable.
Episode and movie screenshots
- If used in the articles for the episode or movie that the screenshot was derived from, avoid trimming the image. Screenshots for episodes should be 320x240, or failing that, in another 4:3 ratio. Screenshots for movies should be 426x240, or failing that, in another 16:9 ratio, assuming the movie is in widescreen format. If the screenshot is used in another article, such as a character profile, trimming is allowed to focus the image on the character.
- Episode screenshots should be as informative about the episode as possible. The best screenshots focus on major characters, depict the plot or major events of the episode, and display the episode's animation quality. Screenshots with watermarks or text on them should particularly be avoided.
- Scans made and provided by a Bulbapedia user are preferred over ones taken from other websites.
- Scans should be saved as .jpg files.
- Scans are preferred over photos taken with a camera. However, in the event that scans are not currently available, quality photos are acceptable replacements.
- Minimal alteration of scans are preferred. Any changes should attempt to preserve the original content and quality of the image. In the case of notably low-quality screenshots, however, alterations which increase the quality of the screenshot are acceptable.
- Photos of TFG figures should be taken at either a front-on or 3/4ths view, depending on which best captures the form of the figure.
- Photos should be taken with a white background.
- Images should only be animated if the animation is helpful and informative in some manner.
- Animation is preferred to be as small and non-obtrusive as possible.