Got a spare minute? The Archives need some love. See the to-do list to find a way to help.
If you upload a new image make sure you name and categorize it properly. If in doubt, ask an admin or see our FAQ page.
User talk:The Great Butler
I'm writing these hints because ofand .
It would be better if you uploaded movie screenshots as JPG. PNG may be great for lossless archiving and it is the preferred format for simpler images like sprites and diagrams where it plays out its benfits over JPG: A sprite saved as JPG would look awful. If you use JPG in a rather high quality setting of 80 to 95, it should be just fine on images like photos AND anime screenshots whereas it wouldn't on a sprite.
Images with more complex colors such as photos and TV and movie screenshots (yes, usuallly anime and cartoons as well) can be compressed with JPG, because it is more suitable and artifacts don't turn out as bad as on a less complex sprite or diagram. Saying that JPG is generally bad for its lossiness isn't right, since that only gets significant when high compression is applied that really destroys alot of the image or when it gets compressed alot of multiple times. And since the screenshot is most likely from a video with a lossy video compression format already, most detail that you might have been able to retain with PNG ist lost aready anyway. In this case, I doubt there is any such detail to retain since it's an analogue TV screenshot.
The reason to not use PNG in such cases is because it generates huge filesizes that seem pointless when used on images that could be saved in JPG without significant loss of quality.
The last hint is that you should use more helpful filenames than "vlcsnap-SOMENUMBER", as it also says in the upload form to use a descriptive and concise title.
I don't quite understand what was going on in the #bulbagarden channel but I only wanted to tell you this without offending you and I didn't intend a personal attack or so. It seems like it's impossible to discuss in a serious way in there most of the time and this was another example of it. I think I'll blame it on some of the other people. --Nyoo 00:45, 5 August 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, I just noticed the problem with that. Fixing as we speak. --The Great Butler 01:59, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, sorry, but I can't figure out how to delete that one, so I'm gonna have to reupload it. --The Great Butler 02:00, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- When categorizing for Team Rocket images, [[Category:Jessie]], [[Category:James]], [[Category:Meowth (Team Rocket)]] are used in place of [[Category:Team Rocket]] when they are individually in the images. Team Rocket's mechas uses [[Category:Team Rocket Mechas]] for the category. Please make sure to add these when uploading. ㄱ쉰 G50 05:33, 22 December 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for making Bulbapedia better by uploading some more good qualiy pictures. I just thought that the Mewtwo's creators' image could be a bit better: there was a shot when Mewtwo was reminicing its past when they were seen monitoring an experiment, where they were actually centered in the image and shown from the front. Wouldn't that be a better shot for this image than that current version in which they don't take too much space at all and are shown from back, the main focus actually being on Mewtwo? --FinnishPokéFan92 (talk) 05:57, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
Aether Foundation past
- Correction: your picture was so much like mine that it even still had the logo. I've replaced the links to your version of the picture to my version of it. --FinnishPokéFan92 (talk) 07:08, 8 April 2019 (UTC)
- Sorry about this. I put a deletion template on my version. If there's a way I can take it down myself, I don't know it, so please let me know if that's the case. The Great Butler (talk) 07:09, 8 April 2019 (UTC)